Wednesday, December 30, 2015

What is Fit Mom Therapy?

Fit Mom Therapy came to me one day this summer when I was out on a 9 mile trail run.  With 3 little ones (9, 6 & 3 years old), I feel that I try to take everything in when I am on my solo adventures. That hour-2 hours to myself is sacred to me, it recharges me so I can come back and give my minion army all of me. It makes me a better mom!

I remember years back I was talking to someone I just meet. She was asking about what I do as a running coach and a personal trainer.  She then said to me, "I would love to run but I want to be a good mom and actually spend time with my children." I did not take offense to the comment, but have thought back to this response many times since that day.  What would it be like without my "Mom Therapy?"  I am not sure my family wants to find out!  If I have a bad day, my husband will always suggest that I go burn a few miles.  20-30 minutes is all I need to come back refreshed and get refocused on what my family needs.  I know that I am not the only mom out there that needs a little "Mom Therapy" in her life.

With my oldest being 9 years old I felt like the last decade I was either pregnant, nursing or barely getting back my running shape and then we pressed the repeat button. Now that my little family is complete, I feel like I am falling in love again with the things I loved to do and finding myself again. I don't know about you, but I am a different person than I was 10 years ago. Kids change you and make you a better,less selfish person. With my youngest being 3 years old, 2016 is the first year since 2006 that I haven't been utterly exhausted and will be competing again. I feel that with aging 10 years I love the process more since it is my small escape from reality but get to come home to my biggest fan club. I will be posting about my ups and downs of training this year along with fitness and running tips. Please hashtag me @ #fitmomtherapy and #momtherapy so I can follow your adventures. Get outside and find what you love to do and what makes you tick in 2016!

5 comments: